Thursday, October 4, 2012

September Foodie Penpals

The Lean Green Bean
 
 
So, I'm a little late once again posting this... Sorry! I'm such a slacker. : (
 
But anyway, I once again got a wonderful package in the mail from my Foodie Penpal for this month. It came from the wonderful Teresa at Farm Share Stories. Thanks Teresa! Here's a pic of what came in the mail:
 
I was excited right away when I saw the leopard tape : )
 
And here's what I found when I opened it up:


My box full of goodies

The cutest little card : )

A cool book on eating locally grown food. It's got some great recipes in it too!
 Teresa thought that Asian cuisine would be a good match for me since I'm lactose intolerant, so she took a trip to Boston's Chinatown to grab some foodie treats for me. They included:

Ginger candy and green tea pumpkin seeds
 These two were interesting, but not my favorites... The ginger candy (which, by the way, says it's good for digestion) was surprisingly spicy, and I'm a wuss when it comes to spicy. I love pumpkin seeds, but I'm not a big fan of green tea... They weren't bad though. I gave these to my father-in-law, and he loved them! : )

Sauces for cooking my own black pepper chicken and sweet & sour pork
I haven't tried these yet, but I'm really looking forward to it!

Pretty chopsticks and rice vermicelli noodles
 I LOVE these chopsticks!!! They're so pretty in person. They make me want to eat sushi. : ) And I'm going to try and use the rice noodles to make a soup to go with the chicken and pork dishes.

Red bean mochi and peach gummy candy

The peach gummy candies are yummy! I took them to work to have around when my sweet tooth attacks. ; ) As for the red bean mochi... I had no idea what those were! Or how to eat them. There weren't any directions in English on the back, so I assumed you didn't have to cook them. I was under the impression that they were some sort of dumpling since it was rice and red beans, but I googled it, and it's a dessert! I'm sure I would have figured that out when I opened the box, since they were each sitting in a cute little green cupcake liner. They weren't bad... The red bean center wasn't sweetened, but the outer rice part was. I thought that worked really well. The rice part was a weird consistency... like a soft, gummy kind of. It's hard to explain. But I kind of liked them. I'll have to save them for dessert with my soup and chicken/pork dinner. : )
 
And that's my Foodie Penpal package for September! Thanks again, Teresa! It was a very fun package. : )  I'm sorry again for not being on the ball... I'll try to post this earlier enough next month for you to have time to sign up for the next one!
 
Hope you have a great weekend! : )
 


1 comment:

  1. I'm stopping by for a visit from Lean Green Bean today.
    Since this is my first time participating in Food Pen Pal I thought I would see what people are sending in their boxes. (to get ideas)

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a comment!? You just made my day :)