Sunday, September 11, 2011

The Phantom of the Opera


Grade: C-
Profanity: Light if any
Graphic content (sex, murder,etc.): A little violence and murder. Not very graphic though...


This was our August Book Club pick. I love the musical, but I was not a big fan of the book. I had such a hard time getting into it. And it seemed kind of choppy and confusing to me.

There were certain parts I enjoyed... It was funny at times. And there was a section near the end that I thought was very well-written. I won't spoil it, but it takes place in a torture chamber (for those of you who have read it). Other than that, I was quite disappointed though.

I actually don't have a lot to say about this book. Sorry... And though I would definitely recommend watching the play or movie, I can't say that I'd recommend reading the novel.

That's just me though... Have any of you read it? What'd you think?

Next on the list is Alice I Have Been by Melanie Benjamin. Hopefully I'll have a better grade and a more thorough review for you soon! : )

4 comments:

  1. Never read the book but my sister likes the musical. I myself am not into musicals or most books baised on musicals. (This is Jennifer aka asma from Swap-bot)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad I read your review because this is one I may have picked up.

    PS I got a copy of Confessions Of An Ugly Stepsister since you wrote about it ;) Now I must find the time to read it, lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi April, thanks for following on my blog. I"m following you here now too. I"ve seen a movie on this, but I'll pass on the book, based on your review. We connected thru Swap=bot.

    Blessings,
    Coleen
    an AMerican in Ukraine
    www.vintageterrace2.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't like the book much either, but the musical has always blown me away. No matter how many times I see it, I cry! So beautiful!

    Amelia (frecklessobe on swapbot)

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a comment!? You just made my day :)