Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Mr. Darcy, Vampyre


Grade: C
Profanity: None that I can remember...
Graphic content (sex, murder,etc.): A little violence... nothing bad


** WARNING: This review is spoiler-ish if you've never read Pride and Prejudice **

So I was getting ready to type up my review of Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister when I realized I never posted this one... oops! So here goes. Hope I can remember everything! ; )

Since Pride and Prejudice is my favorite book, and I'm such a huge fan of the Twilight series, I was really looking forward to reading Mr. Darcy, Vampyre. I mean, if you combined Mr. Darcy and Edward Cullen, you would have the perfect man... besides my husband, of course!! (Love you, Baby (who doesn't read my blog so it's all good)) My cousin Summer (who by the way just started her very own blog, so go check it out here) told me about this book, so I went and picked it up several weeks ago and had it in my huge "To Read" pile for a while. But I finally started it, and...

... I was pretty disappointed from the get-go. : (  I know it's not really fair to try and compare this book to Pride and Prejudice, but if you're going to write something based on another book's characters, you should expect that, I think. And the words just didn't flow as smoothly as Pri... ok I'm going to start abbreviating these titles... as smoothly as PP.

Another big problem I had with MDV was the character of Elizabeth Bennet... I mean Elizabeth Darcy. (In case you didn't know, this book takes place after their wedding). Oh, which reminds me that I didn't put a summary up there. Ok, I'll give you what's printed on the back of my copy of the book, which also happens to be the Prologue:

     My dearest Jane,
            My hand is trembling as I write this letter. My nerves are
        in tatters and I am so altered that I believe you would not
        recognise me. The past two months have been a night-
       marish whirl of strange and disturbing circumstances, and
       the future...
            Jane, I am afraid.
            If anything happens to me, remember that I love you and
       that my spirit will always be with you, though we may never
       see each other again. The world is a cold and frightening place
       where nothing is as it seems.
           It was all so different a few short months ago. When I
       awoke on my wedding morning, I thought myself the happiest
       woman alive...

Ok, so back to Elizabeth... She was just such a wuss in this book!! And worse than that... she came across as foolish and ridiculously naive a lot of the time. : ( The PP Elizabeth was strong and independent. She was intelligent and had a quick wit... They were just such different people that it was off-putting for me.

I will admit that the story itself kept me pretty drawn in the whole time. But the apex didn't seem to come until nearly the end of the book... And the ending was pretty unbelievable. Even for a vampire book.

So I'm not sure if I'd recommend this novel to anyone or not... It wasn't terrible, but there was a lot about it that I didn't like. I have heard that Grange's Mr. Darcy's Diary is much better than MDV, so I still plan on reading it eventually... We'll see how it goes!

So, have any of you read this book? What did you think??

2 comments:

  1. OK, so now I really want to read PP!! LOL, can you believe I never have? Your hubby comment was the cutest. I think I might pick this one up just for fun, after I get my hands on PP of course.

    How have you been, babe? I hope you are having an amazing summer :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi April! I'm following your blog now. I haven't read this book, though now I'm curious and want to read it. Have you read Vampire Darcy's Desire? Elizabeth is much stronger and independent in that one though I also don't like how it changed script from the original Pride and Prejudice. Nonetheless, I still enjoyed it. You should check it out!

    tiger1i1y from swapbot (blog swap)

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a comment!? You just made my day :)